Monday, January 13, 2014

Man gave police men a free ride and was arrested because his car had A.C

Here is his story:
I was driving down Queens Road in Lagos when I was flagged down by two
gun-toting policemen. 'We need a lift,' demanded one of them.
'We are going up the road.' Could I have refused What would have
happened if I had refused It might have become a case of 'resisting
arrest.' I asked them to get in.
One sat in front with me: the other
at the back. Immediately they got in, the man in front with me found
it necessary to affirm his alienation from me. He said to me: 'Oga,
you people are enjoying O. You get AC in your car. We, we have to stay
all day in the sun.'
sincerely it shocked me! At the moment I did not utter anything. I
pretended as if I did not get their discussion. But to my surprise,
the other guy said, "Oga we dey talk to you, you no answer. Hope your
motor get paper sha"
my people that was the beginning. It started like joke but eventually
I was taken to their station claiming to have found a suspected car.
But after investigation when the documents to the car had been given
to them at the station and found no allegation, I was still asked to
come and bail my car.
Nigerians, what kind of identity is our law enforcement agents
promoting What kind of country is this
When a man is arrested for a traffic offence in New York, the fine is
only a fraction of the living wage. Not in Lagos. The minimum wage is
18,000 naira, but the fine for traffic offences starts ostensibly from
50,000 naira. Then you might be asked to go for a psychoanalytic
evaluation which might cost another 25,000 naira. This puts the
government in cahoots with the police. By imposing fines which any
right-thinking person can tell the average car-owner cannot pay, the
car-owner is forced to succumb to police extortion.
The discussion becomes: 'How much can you pay How much do you
have' One thing is certain: whatever amount you have will not be
going to government coffers. It is going to end up in the pockets of
the arresting police officer(s).
This is my encounter in the hand of police. But it's not strange to
me. Even the JTF molest Boko Haram victims. May God help us in
Nigeria.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Naija police